Central Valley Movement Building (CVMB) is a coalition of community based organizations in the Central Valley working to expose and dismantle the school to prison pipeline in Kern, Kings, Fresno, Madera, Merced, South Sacramento, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, and Tulare County.
Tenets of CVMB
- Founded on the principles of engagement
- Building a Central Valley communication network
- Supporting and expanding communities organizing networks
- Sharing resources and experiences within and between communities in need
- Using a five strategy for building a movement in the Central Valley
- Speaking with one voice, but with many actions
- Supporting students and parents to be leaders and organizers in their community
Principles of Engagement
- We will prioritize working with base building groups that are organizing those most impacted and marginalized by school push out and criminalization.
- We understands the importance of working with groups that engage with students, parents and community members through service, advocacy, cultural work and healing. However, those groups have to be willing to challenge the systems structure that are accountable for the practices that have contributed to the school-to-prison pipeline.
- Our capacity building work is centered on supporting local work around school discipline with a vision towards the following larger goals: a.) Ending racial and other structural disparities; b.) Redefining public safety; c.) Ending mass incarceration and criminalization; and d.) Breaking the intergenerational cycle of poverty.
- There has to be a mutual interest in working together. There is no hidden agenda but a strong belief that in order to make real impact in California we need strong local organizing and a statewide vision that is rooted in real relationships across our regions and districts.
- We are committed to working together in a way that does not create dependence on expertise outside the region but helps build connections to people, information and resources that build capacity of leadership within the region.